Friday, October 23, 2015

#16 - Lammes Candies Texas Chewie Pecan Praline

There is an old expression, "out of sight, out of mind," which implies that that which is not in one's sight is easily forgotten (not being on one's mind and all). Like other such sayings, it should be taken with a grain of salt (not literally), as there are naturally plenty of cases in which it is not true (particularly if you are blind). Alternatively, "out of sight" is an old slang phrase to describe something as wonderful or awesome, and to be out of one's mind is to lose control of one's mental faculties, so one could argue that the expression could rather be making the point that it's difficult to think straight while in a euphoric state. To my knowledge, it has never in the history of the world been used in such a manner, but it would be every bit as true, if you ask me (which you didn't).

Today, I refer to the expression in the more common (i.e., correct) usage, as I recently (as well as not as recently) have forgotten about a particular sweet given to me by one of my generous benefactors. Having been tucked out of my sight but in with the rest of my candy stash, it slipped out of my mind without the faintest warning and stayed there for several months.

The human brain is like that.

Then, just as rapidly (and again without warning), it popped back into my mind with a sense of urgency. The human brain is like that, too. So fickle!

Anyway, I wasted no time in seeking out the neglected candy, which turned out to be the "world famous" Lammes Candies Texas Chewie Pecan Praline (you may clap in excitement if you wish)!

A real celebrity in my home! I'm so starstruck!

Despite having lived in this world my entire life, I had never heard of this candy (nor Lammes, for that matter), though both have been around for more than a century (130 years, to be exact). Lammes has a pretty awesome (one might even say "out of sight") history, having been lost in a poker game (never bet your candy, folks) and bought back by the founder's son for a cool $800 (both in 1885; what a year!). The Texas Chewie Pecan Praline is currently their best seller, so I'm sure to be in for something special.

The Lammes logo is what I presume to be a lamb dreaming of being whatever the sheep equivalent of Superman or Supergirl is (based on the "flying" pose of the front legs). He or she seems to be enjoying the dream quite a bit, in fact; I'd like to think the dream also involves delivering chocolates to good children and adults alike. Aside from that, there's not much to the packaging, but that's okay with me. A minimalist approach to design is perfectly fine for a product like this.

First place in the "scary costume" contest.
A comparison to images on the Lammes Candies website leads me to believe my candy endured untold hardships on its journey to my mailbox. If he were alive today, I'm not sure even David Lamme, Sr., himself would recognize the object in the wrapper as a Texas Chewie Pecan Praline (though the text might give him a clue).

It is unfortunate, not only because I am unable to experience the praline in all its glory, but because it has severely hindered the readability of the wording on the packaging (though I would guess that it would be difficult to read in any condition).

The back side looks no better than the front. It exhibits the wretched state of the confection in tragic clarity and contains a crimson rectangle of mysterious origin and meaning. Was my sample tagged for some reason? Did it win a red ribbon for some accomplishment (such as surviving the arduous voyage)? In the immortal words of the riveting Alien Storm conclusion, "nobody knows and there is no way to find out."

I could find no expiration date anywhere on the wrapper. This was a big part of the reason I had forgotten about this particular candy, actually; I have my candy (or rather, my wife does) organized according to expiration date to eliminate the risk of spoilage, but the Texas Chewie Pecan Praline, having no such information, was off in limbo (just like the Alien Storm "tremendous three").

Therefore, it could very well be past its prime. Or it could (more likely) be just fine. A quick unwrapping should settle that in a jiffy!

I can't believe it's not butter! Oh, wait... it is!

Removing the wrapper allows one to actually read what's written on it. Of course, it would be too late for the consumer to change his or her mind at this point; smart move, Lammes Candies! Another example of their cleverness is the requirement of a phone call to obtain nutritional information. When one is considering the purchase of candy, calling customer service tends to be low on the list of priorities, and I would be surprised if they've ever actually received even one call from a consumer regarding the nutritional information. I know they have received no such call from me. As such, I have no ideas or thoughts concerning the nutrition facts of the "Texas Chewie" (out of sight, out of mind, after all). I will therefore eat it under the assumption that it is a healthy snack, because, hey, why not?

The package does, however, include the ingredients list, which is fairly standard, although I find it interesting that both butter AND margarine (the invention of which, believe it or not, was commissioned by Napoleon) are used. Who knew the two could live together so harmoniously? It's a lesson in peace for all of humanity.

Imagine this throbbing for greater effect.
As I said earlier (you WERE paying attention, weren't you?), my praline appeared to have been through a lot during its lifetime and was not showing itself in the best light (says the man who provided the lighting). Its malleability allows it to be deformed with ease, almost like silly putty (but probably much more edible). I could see this being a huge hit with children because of it.

My specific specimen resembled some undefined organ from some as-of-yet unknown creature (terrestrial or otherwise). Even so, it seemed to be in decent condition to my untrained eye (and nose). I do have to admit, there was a brief moment when I considered I should have enlisted the help of my trusty robot assistant, TCR-FRESHY 5000 (who has helped me in the past once or twice), but what was done was done, and I had no choice but to continue on my own.

So I ate it, and Lammes Candies did not do me wrong.

The Texas Chewie Pecan Praline was not the best pecan praline I've ever come across, but it hit all the right marks. It was good and chewy (as suggested by the name), apart from the pecans, which obviously had the consistency of pecans (also suggested by the name), and it tasted... well, like a pecan praline should!

So, all in all, I liked it, but I don't think it quite lived up to the hype. If I were to purchase a selection of chocolate goodies from Lammes Candies, I would certainly include the "Texas Chewie" in the mix, though I might not purchase one on its own, and I doubt it would be my favorite of their offerings.

Therefore, I rank the Lammes Candies Texas Chewie Pecan Praline a 3. It's a good product from what seems to me to be a good company, and I'd recommend checking them out if you happen to be in Austin, Texas (or order from them online, even; you can't go wrong!). I know I wouldn't mind crossing paths with them again.

Until then, I bid Lammes Candies a sweet adieu, with wishes for another 130 years of success.

And I suggest they refrain from playing poker. That'd just be best for everyone.

Out of sight but never out of mind,
The Sweets Fiend

There are two sides to every Texas Chewie Pecan Praline. This is not one of them (it's the other).

No comments:

Post a Comment